Thursday 6 March 2014

Working for free.

What do you do if you're working in the arts as a performer and you have no work?  I have worked many times for no money, in fact one of the best periods in my career started with a job for no money.

I was asked to do a rehearsed reading for the Nottingham Playhouse I wanted to meet the writer so I said yes and gave away 2 days for nothing.  From that reading I was offered the lead part (my first lead role in my home town), from that part I was offered a new bigger agent, who worked really hard for me and helped me land many big TV and film roles.  From this free play reading came a feature film, adverts and other lucrative work so for me working for free played off.

I have an idea, but I have no funding.

Do I invite young actors and offer them no money?  Or do I not do the work till I have money to pay, which could be months away?

I want to pay everyone, but sometimes the pot is empty.




No comments:

Post a Comment