Friday 28 June 2013

Writing a new play.

This is how writing is with me.

I have an idea, a eureka moment and from that idea comes lots of ideas for a story.  I think writing is all about stories, not about grammer or spelling the story is king.  When we hear a story over the garden fence or in the pub, it's a nerd that corrects the story tellers grammer, if the story is good the audience will listen, no matter what.


So, I then chew the idea over, if it doesn't have an ending it isn't an idea.  The end is the most important thing for me.  I want the audience to leave fulfilled and not just "I woke up and it was a dream".   A story is like a map or a journey on a map, it needs a start and a finish, it's no good starting out with your map and not know where you are going.

I think about the idea for a long time, different paths the characters could go down, scenes, drama.

I write in notebooks, clean new notebooks and I make drawings and doodles with different coloured pens.

And then, when I've thought it through I start to write.  When I write new ideas come, different paths, better narrative and by instinct I know which to follow and which to leave.

When I have finished the first write through I save it as draft one and go back to the beginning and start again.

I am never really satisfied, never.

No comments:

Post a Comment