Friday 7 June 2013

Did you just kill our high street?

Before the curtain drops on Oldham’s Theatre in a shop can I take this opportunity to thank the people of Oldham who supported us, we have had a ball.  Before I go though I feel I have a responsibility to tell the communities of Oldham something you don’t know about your town centre.  We all read about the binge drinking yobs of Oldham, how they bought shame on the town nationally, the Telegraph said, “Oldham is England's binge-drinking capital”. 

Well, I have worked in the Town Centre for three weeks Tuesday – Sunday from 6pm till 10pm in our little theatre by the Tommyfield Market, When the show finishes I walk back to my car on Yorkshire Street or I visit The friendly Boltmakers Rest on Rock St, or the fine Ashton Arms and I pass no one.  

Hard Graft also run a successful ghost walk all around the town on a Thursday night, we stop half way in the Jackson’s Pit and in 90 minutes walking the street telling ghostly tales we will see a handful of very sober people going about their business.

Contrary to what people think about Oldham I can tell you that it is lifeless, it is not a no go bleak picture of hard binge drinking, it is the far bleaker truth that no one goes there.

Oldham Town 7pm on a Thursday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment