Monday 28 September 2009

On ya bike

A few years ago I was asked to work for three days on a new play in Nottingham. There was no money involved but because I wanted to be an actor and I wanted to meet the writer and the directer I say yes.

Yesterday I organised an audition for Elves and the Shoemaker with local agents, this was the info I sent to them.

We're looking for a boy (20's 30's) to play the shoemaker and an elf. The show is for age 3+ we need a good mover and singer. the dates are 1 DEC till Christmas eve the one show on the 7Th January. Can you help? This would be a great job for a graduate.

The agents knowing that their young clients will be working with a fantastic director (Judith Barker) submitted actors - most of them with hardly any CV. I looked through the suggestions and invite actors come and meet us for an audition. Of the 10 actors I invited 7 come back to us and turn us down, two graduates (who'd be lucky to make the tea) said "they'd earn more money from their temp job.

The three days I did as a young actor straight from drama school led me to be offered the lead part in the play at the Nottingham Playhouse, then numerous adverts and finally a feature film in Rome.

Moral - make as many ripples as possible as you never know where they lead.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe that, wait till they are out there a bit and they see the reality, esp. in current climate. Losers.

    ReplyDelete